This past weekend, James' mom came into town and taught me how to make German Rouladen, arguably one of James' favorite meals. I vaguely remember the first time I had rouladen with James' family. I was scared to death because the dish just looked weird and brown with lots of gravy. But one bite surprised my tastebuds and I realized this dish was quite delicious.
So Mrs. Hobson taught me how to make it on Saturday, and I thought I'd share her version of rouladen (except we made her sub coconut flour for wheat flour). Just keep in mind that there's no real measurement for ingredients, but many of the ingredients are household staples, which makes it pretty easy.
Hobson German Rouladen (the paleo way)
Ingredients
- thin-sliced beef
- coconut flour
- salt
- pepper
- spicy mustard
- nutmeg
- bacon
- sliced pickles
- onion
- canola oil
- gluten-free gravy
1. First, lay down sheets of wax paper and sprinkle with coconut flour, salt and pepper.
2. Lay sliced beef on top of flour.
3. Spread a layer of spicy mustard on top of beef, then sprinkle with nutmeg.
4. Top pickle with thinly sliced onion.
5. Carefully roll up meat, keeping toppings in place. Also, make sure back of meat is fully coated in flour as you roll.
6. Thread ends with toothpick and place one toothpick through the center to secure.
7. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
8. Cover the bottom of a skillet with canola oil, set to medium high heat and add rouladen rolls once oil is popping.
9. Every couple minutes, turn rouladen so that all sides are browned.
10. Once rouladen is browned, place in oven-safe dish with lid, and save grease drippings for gravy.
11. We made 9 rouladen rolls, and accordingly used 2 gravy packets. We mixed the gravy packets with 3 cups of water, then added to our skillet. It won't thicken up as quick as normal gravy, since we used coconut flour instead of wheat flour. But it's just as tasty.
12. Pour gravy over rouladen rolls, put on lid and bake in 325 degree oven for 1.5 hours.
13. After 1.5 hours, turn over rolls so that the tops don't dry out, turn oven down to 300 degrees and bake for another 1.5 hours.
14. After 3 hours of baking, turn off oven and let rouladen sit in oven for another 30 minutes.
Delicious!
Since I'm on a salad kick, I made a big salad with topping options, and Mrs. Hobson made dill potatoes.
It was a fabulous meal, and I can't wait to cook it again!
This recipe is part of Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Real Food Wednesday, Gluten-Free Wednesdays and Seasonal Sunday.









2 comments:
oh! my! yummmmmm
this would be a great kids kinda meal!
Blessings!
LIB
http://bit.ly/gjDQOS
i just heard about these recently and couldn't really imagine what it was. your tutorial is perfect and i can honestly say that i think i would really like these. thank you for sharing with me and tuesday night supper club!
Post a Comment